Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Maytag Washer Leaks



I recently tried to start a load of clothes. When I did I noticed that the washer was leaking from the back left side onto the floor. Figures, everything always goes to Haiti in a handbasket when HE (my husband) is away. I was wondering if anyone had any advice at all, I mean ANY. I am pretty handy. I am also very cheap. I was weighing my option for calling a repair man, trying to fix it myself, or flat out getting a new machine. My washing machine is about 13 lucky years old has never given me an ounce of trouble. That is until my husband deploys. I appreciate anything. Thank you in advance.

Hello soldiers wife and Welcome to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.
That leak may not be in the machine. May be one of the hoses going into it. Look to find out where the water is acutally coming from. If it is on a hose from the faucet going behind the machine, the hose can easily be replaced for low cost.
Once you determine precisely where the water is leaking from, use the rply button to advise. Other members posting replies in this forum may also have ideas, suggestions and helpful info to provide you so you can do it yourself.

my husband says its sounds like the pump-Maytags don't have tub boots, but seals-everywhere-he works only on GE's - just thought I'd give you what I could-

Thanks for the welcome.
I checked and rechecked to realize that the water leak is coming from somewhere inside of the washer. It will drip out the back and the left side. I tried to do a little trouble shooting myself. (which was difficult because those darn washers are heavy to move and get behind!) I noticed (not sure if it even means anything or not but) it seems to only leak with hot water, not cold. Not sure if it is relevant or not. Thanks again for the advice.
Originally posted by Sharp Advice
Hello soldiers wife and Welcome to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.
That leak may not be in the machine. May be one of the hoses going into it. Look to find out where the water is acutally coming from. If it is on a hose from the faucet going behind the machine, the hose can easily be replaced for low cost.
Once you determine precisely where the water is leaking from, use the rply button to advise. Other members posting replies in this forum may also have ideas, suggestions and helpful info to provide you so you can do it yourself.

Miss Grace, how is Texas these days? My husband and I are from Houston orginally. The military transplanted us here and boy do we miss home.
Thank you and your husband for the advice. I am just trying to weight my options so I don't call a repair man for an issue that is simple fix I could do myself or the machine flat out needs to be replaced.
Thanks again
Originally posted by Grace Elliott
my husband says its sounds like the pump-Maytags don't have tub boots, but seals-everywhere-he works only on GE's - just thought I'd give you what I could-

I noticed (not sure if it even means anything or not but) it seems to only leak with hot water, not cold.
If it is only leaking with hot, check the water inlet valve at rear of machine where the hoses connect. Top left rear facing it. If it is leaking and running down the left side, it is wrong side for the pump unless it running across the floor and out the left side. If it was the hose, I think it would leak all the time. Sounds like the hot side has gone bad on the inlet valve. You can save several $ by fixing this yourself.
Tilt it back and look for two screws, near each corner on the bottom front. Remove these screws and pull bottom toward you. It should lift off the clips on top. Run the machine ( carefully, moving parts! ) and see if the leak is actually coming from the left rear and from somewhere up high. First try cold then hot. If it leaks on one and not the other, I would say it is the valve. Be sure to unplug the machine if you decide to change this part. Also might want to mark where the wires go back to be sure you do not reverse the hot and cold.
P.S. Thank You and Hubby.

Thank you for the advice. My plate is full today, being in school I have an essay to write and homework to finish. Saturday will be my fix it day. I will try the things you said and see what I come up with. I am almost positive it is not the hoses, because there is no water on the outside of the machine. It only leaks from the inside showing up at the bottom of the washer on the left side and the back. If the inlet valve has gone bad would it be leaking exclusively inside of the machine? Thank you so much for the advice. I am so stubborn, independent, and cheap I want to add this to my list of Handylady tricks I can perform! he he The knowledge y'all are passing along, gives me the confidence to try this repair job myself.
On behalf of my husband and myself....thank you for showing you care. It makes his job and the hardships we all endure easier. It's nice to see support of our troops finally! He does it not for the pay that is for sure but for his love of our great country!

Hi: soldiers wife
Remove the back cover of the machine. Look for evidence of water leakage. There are hoses inside, parts that carry water as well as fittings and connections.
The water leakage evidence should be visable. If not, wash a load and watch for where water leakage occurs. Just look. Do not touch since there will be electrical current supplied.
Once you determine where the leak is, allow the machine to finish the load. Unplug the washer, post back where you see the water coming from.
Explain in full details if needed be. If it is a hose, remove and replace. Parts are available at local appliance parts stores listed in the phone book.
Sharp Advice

Hi soldier's wife-I wish my husband would sit down and write this! He can fix anything-except computer anything-one trick I've seen him do is put a cardboard under washer to determine exactly where the leak is coming from-this may be too little too late-but when I asked him last night what he thought about your problem he immediately responded w/the pump. (I actually know what a tub boot is and looks like-they get holes in them and leak, naturally-and since Maytag does'nt have them, he guessed the pump. He has rebuilt many a pump-taken pumps off other old washers also instead of buying out right. When he comes home I will try to get more out of him before Saturday. He did say he does'nt like to work on Maytags-FYI-but has fixed many for his friends...

Hi-caught my husband during his lunchbreak-he asked does it leak when filling up? washing? spinning? (fillingup=very possibly water fill valve or hose that goes from WFV into washer)(washing=possibly center tubshaft seal)(spinning=shaft seal or pump) Stay on scene to determine when leaking. If just drip-use shallow pie pan to catch. He said usually a thirteen yr. old machine might have rust hole in outer tub (he's fixed w/glue before), but unless it's the pump, hose, waterfill valve, get another machine because something else is going to happen. Go to laundromat if can't get one right away and consider if you paid $300 for one 13 years ago, that's just $30 a year. You can take this or leave it of course, but he said if you are happy w/Maytags, get another one-the newer GE's (after 1996 not good machine.) Of course, he suggests frontloaders-they are twice as expensive but very low maintainance (sp?) for years and years. His last words going out the door...if leaks after filling it's part of system that's filling the washer=hose,wfv or tubfill hose. (My two cents=if you use the cardboard, I've seen him pull it out VERY slowly to ascertain amt/spot) also, I asked him why he said he does'nt care to work on Maytags=too complicated. If it's the transmission shaft seal, you can't fix-don't hire anyone to fix-get another machine. Hope this is helpful-try (us) again after narrowing down cause, etc.

you need to go ahead and lift the top up to really be able to see what is going on. Once the front is taken off you can access the 2 hex-head screws, 1 on each side on front that hold the top down to the side panels. I believe it is a 3/8 hex-head. you can use a socket wrench to do this. Now you will be able to lift the top and see where the water is really comiing from. Me thinks it could be the little nozzle just before the water enters the tub. Dont remember the name of it but it does go bad and will create leaking situation. Good Luck.

I think you will find that the pump is on the right front ( facing the washer ) on this machine. I also think you will find the water inlet valve has only one hose that fills the machine. One hose going to the machine and only leaking with hot water ( if that is the case ) points to the hot selonid on the inlet valve. The cardboard will give a good indication of the area the water is coming from. Me? I would do as suggested and raise the top. 5/16 nutdriver works for me. If you decide to raise the top, don't let the door just flop open. Tape it or hold it shut for it to run with the lid raised. Might even tilt the washer back against the wall and look under it. You sholud see 2 belts. The shorter one going off to the right ( I think ) works the pump pully. Look for signs of water near it. But, unless it is leaking and running across the floor to the left rear or is being slung by the belt, I doubt that is the problem. Seems like I may have seen some older ones with the pump on the left, but they were at the front. Need to ascertain if it is actually only doing it on one temp though. Might save some time.

I just wanted to send out a thank you to all of you for your advice. My washer of 15 years is now working like a charm. My in-laws came for a visit recently and helped me out tremendously. Through your advice, some handy dandy work, and a $15 part (wish i could tell you which one it was but I am not that smart...it was blue and I think the hoses hooked into it) I am back in business! Washa-washa-whasha I appreciate all of your words of advice and encouragement. It is never easy to tackle something like that alone. Thank you so much for helping me through my husband-less period. It has meant the world to us both! Take care everyone and thank you again!
PS we still have a ways to go so I might be back...old Murphy's law is kicking and something will give out again soon!






Tags: maytag, washer, leaks, where water, coming from, inlet valve, left side, leaking from, left rear, machine hose, Once determine, soldiers wife, water leakage, with water