Monday, March 10, 2014

Proto Challenger Tools



Can someone please tell me what the difference is between proto tools and proto challenger tools? Do these challenger tools carry the same warrenty that proto tools carry? Thanks for the help.

Why not e-mail Stanley Works and ask? They own Proto.
I have some Proto/Challenger stuff. Pretty good. Stanley is OK with responding by e-mail, you might just call them and ask.

Why not e-mail Stanley Works and ask? They own Proto.
I have some Proto/Challenger stuff. Pretty good. Stanley is OK with responding by e-mail, you might just call them and ask.

Joe, I e-mailed them twise and they ignored me both times. I get waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy much better customer service with harbor freight and sears is about half way in between.

Call them directly and ask. As I said, they are lackluster or OK with e-mails.

Unless they've changed recently they carry the same warranty. I used to run the purchasing and marketing for a large proto house.
BTW most people THINK that all tool lines carry a 100% warranty of if it breaks we replace it. Not true of Proto, or probably anyone else.
They don't warranty the following (and I've probably left some off) situations/occurences.
Tools that have been abused, this includes PRYING with a screwdriver, punch or chisel.
Along the same lines, breaker bars and ratchets that have had a cheater bar used on them, you didn't really bend that thing with your bare hands did you?
Chrome sockets that have been used with an impact driver, the symptom is a split along the length of the socket and generally some rounding in the drive end.
Broken ratchet mechanisms, they'll give you a head repair kit.
Tools that get used up in use, such as punches, chisels.
Torque wrench re-calibration.
Of course if you've got a really good rep, he'll replace the stuff and write it up as something that really is warranted, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more!
Frank

Frank:
Very true. However, that is why Sears eats most of the tool companies for lunch with Craftsman . They are pretty unbeatable with their warranty. Home Depot's Husky line is less broad than Sears and a lot of their stuff is coming from offshore---Sears stuff is still made here. I believe K-D/Danaher is their vendor. If not it's Stanleyworks (the same guys as HD).
While I have seen some cheapness in the realm of Craftsman over the years, I must say they stand behind their stuff and replace it no questions asked. I have bought stuff at swap meets for a buck or two and brought it back for new stuff no questions asked. I keep my tools in great shape, and I even try to stick with the old stuff unless it's worn out. For example, older Craftsman screwdrivers are forged, newer ones are not. I really like the Professional Series Craftsman screwdrivers, the handle is really easy on your hands. LOL.
The one that really gets me is The tool is warrantied until it wears out. I think Ridgid and one of the others has that warranty. Who determines when it's worn out? Shoot, I have tools from the 60's that have outlasted new stuff (I was born in 1971..lol).
I have a vast array of manufacturer's tools in my various toolchests, mostly matched sets. I find that if it's American made from a decent company, for home use, it is more than adequate.
But, you are right, I see some defects on my end (automotive parts) and you have to roll your eyes a bit at some situations .

Thank you both very much. I have an obcession with tools. I never get tired of talking about them or looking at them. You brought up one good point about proto, I have read that some stores will warrenty some tools but not all. That's what I like about craftsman, you get a brand new one without any hasle plus the price is great. Thanks again.

Mower 17,
If you reall get off on hand tools mark your calendar and try to attend either (or both); the National Hardware Show, (in Chicago, IIRC usually in July or August). It fills almost every building that has the name McCormick on it. It covers a lot of stuff for home centers and hardware stores so you might see 30,000 square feet of gas grills and picnic tables but probably every tool manufacturer exhibits there.
The Automotive Aftermarket Show (Big I), held in Las Vegas, last week of October or first week of November. It combines about 4 shows in one but it fills the Las Vegas Convention Center, The Sands Convention Center plus several 10,000 square foot tents outside the LVCC. It covers everything from customizing, hot rodding, car care, painting etc. So you might see a piston manufacturer from Bangladesh, but Proto and the other tool guys usually have HUGE booths.
I used to walk both shows every year and I walked SLOW when I was doing it because I was either looking for new products to sell when I was in distribution, and new product lines to represent after I became an independent representative.
STAFDA (Specialty Tool and Fasteners) show is sometimes pretty good but its geared toward contstruction trades and it's about $350 to get in, so you have to be REALLY INTERESTED. The first two probably cost less than $25 to get in, but both are held in towns that are fun to visit.
Frank






Tags: proto, challenger, tools, that have, Proto Challenger, call them, carry same, Challenger stuff, Challenger stuff Pretty, Challenger stuff Pretty good